The present Lakehead Boat Basin is on the site of the original Duluth Boat Club, which dates back to the late 1800’s. The Boat Club not only offered rowing, sailing, swimming and other sports but also was the main focal point of lavish banquets in its restaurant perched over the water. Duluth has a history as a rowing force but its other strength was due to its Olympic size pool. The most famous of its participants being that of "TARZAN" (Johnny Weismuller) who trained and coached in the indoor pool.
The main building still houses the pool, though the floor and some walls have been modified to accommodate large vessels for inside winter work. The restaurant burned down and a grassy area used for picnics now replaces it.
The area has changed hands only a few times in its vast history. After the club ownership the Barnes family owned it up to approximately the 1940’s. The Hargrave family (the father of Jack Hargrave- well-known naval architect) then owned it until 1959. It was then sold to the present family, whose background comes from previous ownership of one of the local shipyards (Knudsen Brothers Shipyard).
Please take a look around. If you would like to contact us call 218-722-1757
or email us at LBB@LakeHeadBoatBasin.com
Live view of the lake